New to the NJ State Fair Homebrew Competition
The Jersey Pride Category!
If you have a beer/cider/mead that captures the essence of the Garden State, enter it into this battle for Jersey cred in this non-BJCP special category. Maybe you’ve gathered all your ingredients from Sussex County, maybe the recipe is inspired by a Springsteen song, maybe there’s Taylor Ham in the secondary, maybe you’ve aged it in a Laird’s barrel... Anything goes – you don’t need to specify a typical beer style or subcategory – but you DO need to describe the ingredients/techniques/history/concept that makes your brew particularly Jersey. Entries will be judged on “Jersey Pride” (concept) “Execution” (how well the concept is expressed) and “Drinkability” (technique and overall enjoyment), and will not receive normal BJCP scores/scoresheets. The winner will be invited to brew the recipe at Jersey Girl Brewing in Hackettstown!
Jersey Pride Concept: 1-10 points
Execution: 1-10 points
Drinkability: 1-10 points
Awesome Name: 1-3 points
Judges will move their favorite entries to a mini-Best of Show round, where they will award the Gold Medal by consensus (not necessarily by score). If the category has 12 or more entries, Silver and Bronze prizes may also be awarded. A special Gold Medal Prize may be awarded (to be determined).
Jersey Pride Category Entry Rules:
- You MUST enter the brew’s Concept Information into the "Required Info" field in the registration software, which should provide details about why the beer is appropriate for the Jersey Pride category.
- Choose the "Jersey Pride" category in the registration software.
- Because this special category will not be judged according to BJCP rules, it will NOT be eligible for the competition’s Best of Show judging or award.
- Two 12 ounce bottles are required, and all other applicable competition rules/deadlines/costs apply. Brewers may submit multiple entries, and entries in this category may also be entered into regular BJCP categories.
Jersey Pride Prize Rules (Jersey Girl Brewday)
- The Jersey Pride (beer only) category winning brewer will be invited to assist the brewer at Jersey Girl Brewery in Hackettstown in producing the winning recipe to be sold by Jersey Girl. Jersey Girl reserves the full right to modify the winning recipe to conform to its brewery specifications and practices, brewing schedule, business requirements, and other considerations. Jersey Girl reserves the right to decline to brew the beer if agreement on recipe and procedure cannot be reached. The winner will receive no monetary compensation for the sale of beer. In the case that a Cider, Mead, non-saccharomyces (sour/wild) beer, or other recipe declined by Jersey Girl wins, then a different prize will be substituted at the discretion of the organizers and the Jersey Girl brewday will be awarded to the next highest ranked beer entry that Jersey Girl accepts.