Returning to the NJ State Fair Homebrew Competition in 2018:
The Jersey Pride Category!
If you have a beer, cider, or mead that captures the essence of the Garden State, enter it into this battle for Jersey cred in this non-BJCP special category. Maybe you’ve gathered all your ingredients from Sussex County, maybe the recipe is inspired by a Springsteen song, maybe there’s Taylor Ham in the secondary, maybe you’ve aged it in a Laird’s barrel... Anything goes – you don’t need to specify a typical beer style or subcategory – but you DO need to describe the ingredient, technique, history, and/or concept that makes your brew particularly Jersey. Entries will be judged on “Jersey Pride” (concept) “Execution” (how well the concept is expressed) and “Drinkability” (technique and overall enjoyment), and will not receive normal BJCP scores/scoresheets.
Jersey Pride Concept: 1-10 points
- Judged before opening bottle and relative to other entries. How uniquely and appropriately does description express distinct NJ Pride?
Execution of Concept: 1-20 points
How well is the concept expressed in the entry? Is the concept in balance with drinkability? Does concept create a unique and delicious beverage?
Craft: 1-10 points
Regardless of concept, how good is entry? Does it hit a stated style? Does it express a clean fermentation, with clear expression of ingredients and no off flavors?
Awesome Name: 1-10 points
- Judged before opening bottle and relative to other entries. Is the name creative and does it tie to something uniquely Jersey? Does it tie to the concept?
Judges will move their favorite entries to a mini-Best of Show round, where they will award the Gold Medal by consensus (not necessarily by score). If the category has 12 or more entries, Silver and Bronze prizes may also be awarded. A special Gold Medal Prize may be awarded (to be determined).
Jersey Pride Category Entry Rules:
- You MUST enter the brew’s Concept Information into the "Required Info" field in the registration software, which should provide details about why the beer is appropriate for the Jersey Pride category.
- Choose the "Jersey Pride" category in the registration software.
- Because this special category will not be judged according to BJCP rules, it will NOT be eligible for the competition’s Best of Show judging or award.
- Two 12 ounce bottles are required, and all other applicable competition rules/deadlines/costs apply. Brewers may submit multiple entries, and entries in this category may also be entered into regular BJCP categories.